Monday, April 18, 2011

London Symphony Orchestra


The LSO last night was amazing. Jaime and I were really blown away and felt like we witnessed something truly world class.

There was one point during Stravinsky's "The Firebird" when the intense inferno movement starts and I nearly jumped out of my seat. I was listening and reading the Program(me) notes, when the sudden BANG! hits and if I had coke and a popcorn, I would have been sharing them with the nice folks three rows back and maybe the double basses on the stage in front of us.

They also played this Suite called "Fire and Blood" inspired by the "Detroit Industry" mural by Diego Rivera. It's by an American composer and he was in the audience and got a huge applause when he made his stage call after his piece. It had tons of brake drum clanks and ratchets and fun percussion, plus mariachi band-esque Mexican influence (based on Rivera and his wife), and a mind boggling violin solo throughout one of the movements. Read more about it from the perspective of the conductor, here.

Jaime really liked watching the conductor - he was having fun up there. Kind of like this kid (you should watch this all the way through).

Posted via email from eric forsyth's posting place

No comments: