Tuesday, May 24, 2011

jetset/lag blues

Flew the red eye to London over Sunday night / Monday morning. Fortunately I was able to sleep in my coach window seat for about...4 hours total? I dunno, combining three interrupted naps. The crappy thing about flying that far east is that hours of your day / night literally vanish into thin air. The flight took off at 8:40pm, Mountain Time, and landed in London at lunch time, 12:30pm the next day. But the flight was just under 9 hours and I felt like I had slept sitting up for only a few. Because I had.

It's a good thing I slept a bit on the plane, because last night, Monday night, I was up all night waiting and working on materials for a client meeting today, and finally closed my eyes just before 5am, then woke up every 45 minutes to check my email for the the next 4 hours, before taking a shower and going to the office.

So today, Tuesday, I'm a wee bit tired. Tired I can handle. What's really annoying is that right around dinner time (it's now 6pm in London), my eyes still sting a little, I'm still breathing heavily (a not very commonly portrayed symptom of being really tired - I sigh a lot), but mentally, I've been active and firing enough of the day now that I'm warmed up and it's going to be hard to slow down to go to sleep. So now I'm finding myself in the place where I should go to bed soon and just sleep through the night, but I'll be lucky if I get to bed before midnight.

UPDATE: 7:50pm. 
After an invigorating urban walk to the grocery store and then home, I felt even more awake. Made and ate a delicious burger and salad. Ate. Glorious food coma coming on. There may be hope for me tonight after all

UPDATE 7:51pm. Bon Iver's "Re: Stacks" just came on shuffle. I think if I listen to this song over and over again, I could sleep. Love that song. Buy it today. So beautiful and simple. That's my plan tonight. Re: Stacks on repeat and a Tylenol PM. 

Posted via email from eric forsyth's posting place

No comments: