Friday, January 25, 2008

Formal Fridays


It's "Formal Friday" here at the agency today. Alex Bogusky recently initiated "Formal Fridays" as a tongue-in-cheek "privilege" to dress up while the the rest of the corporate world was dressing down on business casual Fridays. His one warning in his all-agency e-mail a couple Thursday's ago:

Remember that this is a privilege, not a right. If people abuse it by dressing overly formal we will go right back to jeans and t-shirts every day. Please no top hats. No tails. No opera gloves under any circumstances. Don't make me regret Formal Fridays.

I somehow woke up on the couch this morning, wearing my glasses (a great way to start the day). Needless to say I wasn't thinking about Formal Friday until I got in today and noticed people embracing the opportunity to spiff up instead of the normal casual garb we run around in. It's ironic: I probably own more neckties than most anyone at this agency, but I find it hard to muster the will to dress up at work when it's not expected of me and actually won't help me be taken any more seriously in my work.

I mean, c'mon, I got a haircut last night. I respect my appearance. (Editor's note: The author was wearing etnies, frayed jeans, a free t-shirt and his most comforting American Apparel hoodie at the time of drafting.)

Maybe next Friday i'll bust out my opera gloves just to stir things up.

4 comments:

francesca said...

This is some solid blogging ... keep up the good work.

franiel

Dave said...

Yay blogs yay top hats!

Anonymous said...

Eric,
Looks good! Is it "Bogusky" or "Bodusky"? Maybe I've been saying it wrong.
Your mother, forever a proofreader

eric said...

it's Bogusky. I guess you've been saying it wrong.