Wednesday, October 14, 2009

manhandle your verbs


I started day dreaming, as I often do. I made a list. List #1.

I read it and crashed my pity part by copying and pasting the list and changing the verbs in the new one. I also ended up adding one more point as the dreaming continued and evolved.

I noticed the difference between #1 and #2 and thought of revising the verbs again. Behold, list #3.

I feel better. Now I just have to work at this stuff. It's on me.

Try this sometime.

----------

List #1

I wish I were a better writer. A really good, captivating, clear written communicator.

I wish I could take public transportation or ride my bike to work without extending my one-way commute by an almost an hour.

I wish I had a more natural singing voice. Not a “prettier” or more professional voice. Just more naturally, subconsciously appealing.

I wish I could afford to record a full-length album of quality and depth that I hear in my head.

I wish I could take multi-day backpacking trips into the backcountry a lot more than I have in the last 4 years, which is embarrassing to admit totals ZERO times.

I wish I had the start up and guts to start my own business and partner with / hire terrific people to share it with.

I wish I could afford the kitchen, tools, food and time to cook whatever I want, however I want.

List #2

I hope to become a better writer. A really good, captivating, clear written communicator.

I hope to be able to take public transportation or ride my bike to work without extending my one-way commute by an almost an hour.

I hope to cultivate a more natural singing voice. Not a “prettier” or more professional voice. Just more naturally, subconsciously appealing.

I hope to someday be able to (afford to) record a full-length album of quality and depth that I hear in my head.

I hope to take multi-day backpacking trips into the backcountry a lot more than I have in the last 4 years, which is embarrassing to admit totals ZERO times.

I hope to start my own business someday and partner with / hire terrific people to share it with.

I hope to be able to someday afford the kitchen, tools, food and time to cook whatever I want, however I want.

I hope to have cool kids that will want to do cool things with me.

List #3

I plan to become a better writer. A really good, captivating, clear written communicator.

I plan to someday be able to take public transportation or ride my bike to work without extending my one-way commute by an almost an hour.

I’m going to work on cultivating a more natural singing voice. Not a “prettier” or more professional voice. Just more naturally, subconsciously appealing.

I plan to someday record a full-length album of quality and depth that I hear in my head.

I will take multi-day backpacking trips into the backcountry a lot more than I have in the last 4 years, which is embarrassing to admit totals ZERO times.

I plan to start my own business someday and partner with / hire terrific people to share it with.

I will someday be able to afford the kitchen, tools, food and time to cook whatever I want, however I want.

I hope to have cool kids that will want to do cool things with me. (This one is still partially out of my hands. Hope’s a good thing.)

Posted via email from ericforsyth's posterous

1 comment:

Robin said...

You ARE a better writer!!! Better than most people! My book club is looking for an uplifting book. I am waiting for yours to be published because I am sure it will be a laugh outloud, very adroit "gotta read" book !!!