Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mid-month observations of Veggie February

I've found that in my normal carnivore life I often opt for the lean meats and whole wheats (nice rhyme). And when i'm a vegetarian, I often opt for the fried food, butter, cream, extra cheese and sugar, which is not normal for me, but my body seems to crave it more. I'm not that unhealthy of an eater when i'm on my normal diet that includes meat, so ironically enough, going vegetarian may not be particularly good for me. But it has been delicious. And it's a good thing i've been walking around London a lot, burning more calories than I usually do in my normal american life driving from chair to chair.

It's probably not enough, though.

Posted via email from eric forsyth's posting place

2 comments:

Taylor said...

I think this is interesting. A few people I know that have tried going vegetarian have reported similar experiences. I think a lot of people try to go out of their way to somehow supplement the meat their missing and then they land themselves in trouble. I am not a nutritionist, nor can I really say how "healthy" my three-year stint with vegetarianism was, but I think that we tend to overestimate the amount of whatever-we-are-getting-out-of-meat that we actually need, from a nutritional standpoint, so we are driven to fill that hole with something else. Maybe, though, the hole left by the absence of meats was actually an overabundance before, and when taking it away, things are closer to an equilibrium. Really, I have no idea what I am talking about, but I know that the urge to supplement my meatless diet with meat substitutes went away after the first few months, and that's when I started to feel like the veggie thing was working for me. I am proud of you for trying to tackle this. I've been wanting to for a while, but my wife would struggle with it, I think.

eric said...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, either. :)

I kid. But I can say, any supplementing i've been doing is totally subconscious. I certainly haven't been saying "i better get that fatty, sweet dish in order to supplement the meat i haven't been eating." the totally subconscious nature of it all is exactly my point.